Code No. : 11
|CBSE UGC NET Previous Year Question Papers for June 2015
CBSE UGC NET Previous Year Question Papers for December 2014
UGC NET November 2017 Defence and Strategic Studies Syllabus
Unit – A
Theories and Concepts
- Defence and Strategic Studies : Assumptions and Approaches.
- The Concepts of Nation:
- State and Nation – State
- Theories and Elements of State
- National Power and its Components
- Key Concepts of Security : National Security, Regional Security, Comprehensive Security, Common Security, Equal Security
- National Security Objectives : Core Values, National Interests.
- Challenges to Security : Individual, Sub – National; National, Regional and International Levels.
- Non – Alignment, Balance of Power, Collective Security and Balance of Terror – Concept, Development and Relevance.
- Concepts of Geopolitics and Geo – Strategy : Theories of Halford Mackinder and Carl Haushofer.
- Defence and Security Policies : Concept, Formulation, Objectives and Linkages.
- National Security Organizations in India :
- Higher Defence Structure in India
- National Security Council
- Para – Military and Civil Defence
- Civil – Military Relations
- Deterrence and Detente : Concept, Theories of nuclear deterrence and their current relevance.
- Contribution to Strategic thought by Kautilya, Mao, Jomini, Clausewitz, Douhet and Alfred Mahan.
Unit – B
Problems of Peace & Security
- War :
- Theories and causes of War.
- Principles of War.
- Contemporary Warfare : Conventional Warfare in Nuclear age, Limited War, Revolutionary Warfare, Low Intensity Operations, Guerilla Warfare, Insurgency and Counter – Insurgency.
- Armaments : Arms Race, Arms Aid, Arms Trade, Anns Proliferation.
- Military Alliances and Pacts, Peace Treaties, Defence Cooperation, Strategic Partnership and Security Dialogue.
- Problem of System of Governance and Human Rights.
- Terrorism : Concept and kinds (National, International and Cross border).
- Conflicting Ideologies : Militarism, Nationalism, Fundamentalism, Separatism, Irredentism.
- Nuclear Proliferation & NPT, CTBT, MTCR, NMD.
- Industrial Military Complex.
Unit – C
Global Security Issues
- End of cold war and emergence of new world order.
- Military, Nuclear and missile capabilities of China, Pakistan and India.
- Re – Structuring of UNO.
- Environmental Issues : Global Warming, Desertification, Acid Rains, Industrial Pollution, Deforestation.
- Military Geography & Defence Problems : Nature of boundaries, Terrain
- Sino – Indian and Indo – Pak border disputes and India’s Continental Strategy with her neighbours.
- Sri Lankan Ethnic Conflict.
- Domestic unrest in Afghanistan.
- West – Asian Crisis.
- Developments in Central Asian Republics.
- Ethnic issues in Yugoslavia.
- Crisis in Chechenia.
- Organized Crimes : Money Laundering, Narco – trafficking.
- Militarisation of Indian Ocean and India’s national, maritime and security interests in the Indian Ocean region. India’s Maritime Strategy for the 21st Century.
- Issues of Logistics : Resources, Supply chain, Transportation and Communication.
- Problems of Refugees :
- Causes of Migration.
- Population in border areas and border security.
Unit – D
Issues in Conflict Resolution
- Origin, Type and Structure of Conflict at inter – state level.
- Images, belief systems and International conflicts.
- Techniques of Conflict Prevention
- Conflict Management : Pacific Solution of International Disputes, Coercive methods and war as an instrument.
- International Humanitarian Laws and Laws of Armed Conflicts.
- Confidence Building Measures : Concept, kinds and utility.
- IGOs & NGOs in Conflict Resolution : Peace Making, Peace Keeping and Peace Building.
- Techniques of Preservation of Peace : Collective Security System, Pacific Settlement, Enforcement Action. Regional Security Arrangements. Disarmament.
Unit – E
Economic, Science & Technology Issues and National Security
- Broad Survey of Technological Changes from Industrial Revolution to Inform Action Revolution.
- Economic Theories of Defence .
- Basics of Defence Planning, Determinants of Defence Expenditure and Defence Budgeting.
- National Security and International Trade regimes ( WTO, TRIPS, TRIMS, NAFTA, SAPTA ).
- India’s Nuclear and Space Power Programs, India’s Energy Scenario.
- Research and Development :
- Relevance of Science and Technology in National Security.
- Impact of Information Technology; Revolution in Military Affairs ( RMA ).
- Choice of Weapon Systems.
- Impact of Economic Liberalization and Alobalization :
- Defence Production in India ( Role of DPSU’s and Ordnance factories ).
- Defence and Development and Peace and Development Dichotomies.
- Issues of Mobilization of Resources during War and Peace.
- Transfer of Technology : Dual use and critical technologies and their impact on national security.